Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Music

Music has been a part of my life since I was little and now as I have matured so has my love of music and it's meaning to me. Music is the keeper of my emotions and gives good advice as well. Sometimes I feel as if my ipod is connected to my brain and it knows what song to put on at just the right moment. Music allows me to escape from the real world and enter a world where words mean more than what is being sung and silly dots and lines on pages turn into beautiful stories and masterpieces. Whether I'm singing, playing, or listening to music I'm always lost in it. It turns working out into an intense trainer that keeps yelling at me to go farther and push myself harder; it turns a simple walk through the quad an adventure or even a peaceful journey depending on the type of music; and it can turn something as simple as being happy into an overwhelming feeling of joy. Music has gotten me through some tough times. It just speaks to me and I can see deeper than rythms and words. Each note is it's own entity with it's own background and story behind why it is on the page and what it means. What fascinates me the most is how selfless music notes can be, despite each note being unique. Yes occaisonally they have their moment and need to shine (usually the soprano line if I might add) but each note knows that in order for the piece to function properly and sound absolutly amazing, they must work in unison and harmony. Even when two notes fight each other (knows as dissonance to those that aren't music savy) they know it is there for a reason and emits an emotion that is needed for the overall meaning of a piece. They keep fighting until the dissonance is resolved with a lovely chord that makes your heart and soul melt. Being in choir in high school has taught me a lot of this because my teacher absolutly loves music. They way she talked about a piece (especially if it was about water) gave it so much more emotion and character and it made me want to emit the same emotion as the piece wanted to be played or sung. She made me a better musician and singer and made me love music even more and showed me how deep music can be. Music is versatile as well and can mean many things depending on the person playing it. It allows for creativity and uniqueness as well all interpret the music differently but overall show the same meaning. I have realized how big of a role music plays in my life and how I don't know what I would do without it. Thank you to all of those that are/were involved in my musical life because you all have really shaped the singer/musician that I am today and made my love of music grow even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment