Saturday, January 14, 2012

Jumping in the Deep End

So this is my first blog. I've told myself for months now that I would never have anything important or profound enough to have a blog, I mean one of my best friends writes letters to her deceased mom, how in the world can I follow that?!? I decided that even if my posts aren't as deep and meaningful as hers this could help get all my emotions and feelings out there because as a girl I have a lot of those and yes they are sometimes complicated, slightly stupid, and can contradict themselves. Plus I can share all my awesome experiences in Alabama because it is seriously a different world down here. And it will probably help with my writing skills (that one was for you High School English teachers).

Writing my first blog feels like I'm jumping into the deep end of a pool, not knowing how to swim. It's scary as hell, I don't know if I'll sink or swim. Are there blogging police out there.......are there rules to this? I guess I will find out as I go. What if no one reads this? Does that matter, or is this more for myself? I guess only time will tell. As I begin my second semester at Alabama I feel as if I have already grown up a lot. My new friends are AMAZING and I miss my old friends as well. The experiences I've had so far have really shown me the person I want to be and the person I should not be. I've learned a lot about relationships as well. People tell me I'm crazy for moving so far away from everything that is familiar but it was the best decision I ever made. I got to and will experience things my friends in California will probably never experience. Alabama football in itself is an experience, no team in California is as worshiped as ours here in the South and no one dresses up for games in California. I'm not talking jeans and t-shirts people, I'm talking sun dresses for the girls and khakis and polos for the boys. Football is a religion here.
 My first semester was all about taking the leap into the huge, deep pool that is known as the University of Alabama. The first daunting task: making friends in a sea full of 30,000 other people. How the hell can I get close to people when there is 30,000 of us?!? Luckily thanks to my Grandma I have a wonderful group of friends that hopefully I will be friends with for the rest of my life. They make me laugh and are weird just like me. I can tell them anything. Yes I did have some trial and errors with friends but those depressing times led me to my friends now and I'm so glad I had the bad times. They really showed me who I want to and need to be and the people I need to surround myself around.
Girls.......the boys here in the South are pretty AWESOME! I never have to hold the door open for myself anymore and they all are nice to look at. In California most guys have long hair, wear skinny jeans, and think their waist is below their ass so that's where their pants should be too. That was NEVER attractive to me. Here the boys are clean cut and extremely nice. Yes I have found the occasional asshole but those exist where ever you go. I've ran some trial and errors as well with the guys here too don't worry, I had to weed out those assholes. This was probably the next step to the edge of the pool. Being with the same person for 3 1/2 years I never got to experience different types of guys and figure out what I really want in a guy. Being single in college has its pros and cons. I've never had to deal with asshole guys before so that was a new experience for me. Luckily I weeded them out and have found one that is definitely not an asshole. We'll see where this goes and of course I'll keep my readers (if I have any) updated. Maybe I'll write a post about how to weed out the assholes because that unfortunately can involved heartbreak and bad decisions.
The final step into finally taking the plunge and immersing myself into the culture that is the University of Alabama was finding who I am. They say a lot of people do "soul searching" in college and coming out of high school I thought I knew who I was, but man was I wrong. Upon graduation I was a very independent, sometimes outspoken, very smart student. Upon coming to college, I'm still pretty independent and a good student, but I'm not as outspoken as I used to be. I tend to keep my comments to myself and I think more about what I want to say and if it is a good idea. I try to see things from all sides and the consequences of doing/saying things. Sometimes my outspoken/impulse ways come out which is good at times, but I have calmed down a lot in a matter of 6 months. I think it is the southern way that I'm adapting to. People move much slower here and I have begun to do the same thing which has helped me calm down a lot. I love the school that I go to and the friends that I have made. Jumping in is not as scary as I though it was, it takes a lot of learning, waiting, a little of praying and most of all courage.

1 comment:

  1. So much good stuff here, Kathryn! I kept a blog for years -- it was the only time I've journaled consistently. And just the process of writing was helpful. Keep writing and keep reading what you've written. (By the way, you're right that nobody will write anything as significant as your friend who writes to her deceased mom. But keep writing!)

    ReplyDelete